English English Spanish Spanish

Legal Support

Expert Legal Advice

For some survivors of abuse, having a safe place to stay and receiving counseling may not be enough to allow them to live independently and self-sufficiently after leaving an abusive relationship. Sometimes, survivors need the expert help and advice that only a legal professional can provide.

Find legal support from our legal advocates.

How We Help

Hope’s Door New Beginning Center has two full-time staff attorneys and legal assistants to help clients with completing applications for Crime Victims CompensationAddress Confidentiality or a Protective Order.

Our legal team may provide clients with general guidance through the legal system or may assist them with specific legal matters such as divorcechild custody, child supportCPS issues, and modifications. We can assist clients who wish to represent themselves in court or, depending on the circumstances of their individual case, some clients may qualify for full representation.

Protective Orders

If you are a survivor of family violence, stalking, or sexual abuse, you can apply for a court order to keep your abuser away from you. This order is called a Protective Order (“PO”).


A PO orders an abuser:

  • not to hurt, threaten, or harass you or your children, either directly or through another person.
  • to stay away from you, your family, your home, workplace, and children’s day care or school.
  • not to carry a gun, even with a license.

The judge in your case can also:

  • order payment of child support and medical support.
  • set terms and conditions for visitation with the children.
  • order the abuser to attend anger management classes.
  • order drug testing.
  • order the abuser to attend a substance abuse treatment program.
  • order the offender out of the home (“kick out order”).

Frequently Asked Questions

About Legal Support

What do I have to do to get a protective order?

For a family violence protective order, you must be able to show that violence has occurred and that it is likely that violence will continue in the future. Family violence includes any intimate partner violence, including dating violence and violence between same-sex partners.

Document incidents of abuse to show proof that a protective order is warranted. Photograph injuries. Save threatening voice messages, texts, and emails. The more details you provide, the more likely you are to get a protective order. 

Why do your legal services have a financial requirement?

Because the need for legal services is so high, our grant funders require us to place a limit on how much money someone can make to get free services.

I don’t want therapy or other domestic violence solutions. Can I still get legal support through your program?

Yes, legal services are a standalone service at HDNBC. However, you must still have experienced family violence, have an urgent legal need, and qualify financially.

I can’t afford an attorney, but I have experienced family violence. What can I do?

Depending on your income, you may qualify for services from Legal Aid of Northwest Texas

I don’t live in Collin or Dallas County. Can I still get help?

All individuals who complete an intake in any of our service programs are eligible for free legal advice and advocacy. We do not represent cases outside of Collin or Dallas County at this time. BIPP clients are not eligible for legal services.

24-Hour Hotline

We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Have a Question About Legal Services?

Send a message to a legal advocate.

Send Message

Who We Serve

HDNBC proudly serves anyone impacted by domestic abuse, family violence, or teen dating abuse regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, immigration status, primary language, or sexuality. Multigenerational families with kids (and adults) of all ages are supported. We can also provide safety for pets.